|Photo: Pinoyborian's Flickr|
Making creative images with my digital camera is one of my goals. However, as a beginner photographer I have many limitations. So, I buy copies of the magazine Photography for beginners to help me with my learning. In one of the magazine issues I came across the zoom burst technique.
The zoom burst technique is quite simple to do and quick to create. Images from this technique implies motion, with a centre subject that is sharp and the surrounding elements giving a directional blur. A camera with zoom lens is ideal for this technique although moving your body to zoom will also do.
Based on the magazine tutorial I read, I adapted the following steps to come up with a creative zoom burst image:
- Set up subject (for example, bunch of flowers)
- Choose a tripod or handholding when shooting
- Change to Shutter Priority
- Set the shutter speed (you need to experiment here)
- Pick the focus point (centre of frame)!
- Zoom while shooting
- Edit your photo for fine tuning ( I use GIMP) - sharpen, adjust colours (saturation), image cropping and more
The picture at the beginning of this post was my first decent creative zoom burst image. Of course, I have had several failure and less creative shots before it.